Thursday, July 23, 2009

day 5 cooking for 1

Today was a really productive day! But unfortunately there were still things left on my to do. I am so into planning right now, its the greatest thing! I've taken my measurements, recorded a video, and planned a menu, in addition to a few other things I needed to do around the house.

But my concern of the day is how do I plan and cook for one without spending a lot of money or wasting food. I don't want to get all of these fancy recipes that make 6 servings! There is no way that I'm going to eat leftovers that many days, nor am I going to put it in the freezer, because most food does not taste the same to me after its been frozen. I've been looking for cookbooks that guide a single person on preparation but nothing good so far. If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE let me know ASAP!!!
Have a happy weekend, I know for sure I'll be back Monday:)

1 comment:

  1. Cooking for one is hard but doable. I tend to not use recipes (or I use them but modify them for my own use). I also like convenience. So, I tend to make things in larger batches (chicken, etc.). The trick is finding things that DO taste good warmed up (my problem is that I don't microwave so everything needs to be reheated in the oven which is a little more difficult). It's not so hard making a recipe for two so I usually eat one and bring the second to work for lunch.

    Best investment you can make is a George Foreman Grill (preferably the one with removable plates) you can grill everything on there. I eat a LOT of salads (I love them so it's easy) with protein on them or on the side.

    And, truthfully, if you take the time to reheat things in the oven or on the stove instead of in the microwave you'd be surprised how much better they taste. And, don't be afraid to cook extra of a staple (chicken, etc.) and modify it over a couple days.

    Another easy, one-person meal is a stir-fry. I actually find it easier to cook that for one (or two) than for a family. Just watch your sauce to keep it low-cal. I usually just make my stir-fry's with vegetables and sauce, sometimes adding a protein -- rarely do I add noodles or rice (which will up the calories fast) unless I have company and need to stretch it (or don't want to freak them out with no starch).

    Good luck! :)
    Fat Chick -- www.fatchicksjourney.com

    ReplyDelete